Wednesday 2 November 2011

Hooded Crow Bio & Images 2011

Hooded Crow in Staten Island, New York
When I first saw the post on the New York State listserv about the Hooded Crow on Staten Island I wasn’t going to twitch it.  Why?  It had to be an escaped bird or at least one that didn’t make it to the southernmost borough in New York City under its own power but by riding a boat.*  After all, Hooded Crows are a bird of eastern and northern Europe, Central Asia, and the Middle East and are not known as long distance migrants.  But the more I thought about it the more I wanted to see a Hooded Crow again.
My last encounter with a Hooded Crow was in May of 2009 in the Tien Shan Mountains of Kazakhstan.  Prior to that trip to Kazakhstan the only other time I had seen Hooded Crows was in Germany in 2007, when my best looks at a Hooded Crow were along the shore of the Baltic Sea.  I thought that by going to see this particular bird in Staten Island’s Great Kills Park I might not only get to see a great bird but might also evoke some nice memories as well.
Images:
 Crow
 Crow
 Crow
 Crow
 Crow
 Crow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...